[linux-audio-user] [ANN] wiki.freeaudiosoftware.org online

On Sunday 28 August 2005 14:48, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > A wiki that requires registration hurts us more than spam, in my
> > opinion.
>
> Well, the need to register really is a blocker for many people.
> Even if I already have registered, I'll not know the login data as
> soon as I want to contribute something.
> So I guess you're unfortunately right.

Having run half a dozen wikis and contributed to lord only knows how
many, registration is neither a bad thing nor optional.  The utopia
imagined by the original wiki proponents does not exist on the
internet today.  It's just another type of CMC, like a mailing list
or a forum, and it's important to know who's contributed what and to
be able to shut out miscreants.

There's no need to require registration for reading, just editing.

Rob