[linux-audio-user] stupid hydrogen question

On 4/12/05, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/12/05, Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Apr 12, 2005 7:58 AM, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, it was late and I was confused...but it's still not crazy talk.
> > > What I meant was this: the default pattern length value is 1, which
> > > gives me a pattern with 4 beats.  So I inferred that setting the
> > > pattern length to 3 would give me 12 beats, which I could then use to
> > > get a single 3/4 time pattern.
> >
> > Again, use the drop down on the right.
> >

> Again, the drop down on the right does nothing.  I can set it to
> anything from 1 to 8; the pattern is always one 4/4 measure.

If you choose 6 you will only have 3 beats per measure.  The 4th beat
will be greyed out.  If you choose 4 there will be 2 beats per
measure, the 3rd and 4th will be greyed out.  If you choose 2 there
will be 1 beat per measure, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th will be greyed out.
If you play the pattern the greyed out beats are not played.

> Furthermore, the help says this:
> "The combobox "Grid Resolution" will modify the resolution so to help
> adding notes: it's possible to set grid for 4,8, 16, 32, 64 beats per
> bar and their 'three beats' bars indicated as 4T, 8T, 16T and 32T. You
> can also set the number of bars actually played by the "pattern size"
> menu on the right (1 to 8)."
>
> I can't quite decipher this.  The way it reads, I would need to use
> the drop down on the LEFT (the Grid Resolution) to get 3/4 time (or a
> "three beats" bar, using their language).

That creates the note separation.  4 means quarter notes, 8 is eighth
notes, etc.  4T is quarter note triplets, 8T is eighth note triplets,
etc...

If that doesn't help you then you could try using rosegarden and
editing midi drum tracks.