[linux-audio-user] Linux and Standards

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 19:43, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:50:05 -0600, Jan Depner <eviltwin69@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This is a gray area, but I think that you cannot just say that the gnu
> > > tools are _not_ a part of the operating system.
> > >
> > > Would you say that the startup scripts are _not_ a part of the OS ?
> > > All the startup scripts that I've seen rely are parts of gnu coreutils.
> > >
> > > I think that qualifies as being _part_ of the OS.
> >
> >         Nope.  A startup script is just a startup script.  Grub is not part of
> > the operating system either.  The OS is, by definition, the kernel.  An
> > interesting thing to consider is RTLinux.  Linux is *not* the OS in
> > RTLinux.  The RT microkernel is the OS.  Linux is merely the idle
> > process.  I guess you could say it's part of the OS since it is in the
> > inner loop so to speak.  And, speaking of which, has anyone taken a look
> > at Monta Vista's Open Source Real-Time Linux Project in relation to
> > audio?  It's using a lot of Ingo's patches.
> >
> > Jan
>
> It's an interesting topic and discussion. Probably my comments will be
> from a little different direction. (what's new...?) I've served on a
> number of standards committees (both IEEE like 1394 and closed/company
> driven like PCI-X) so I'll add comments from that POV.
>
> What I haven't seen discussed much yet is 'standards' vs. 'open
> standards' vs. 'closed standards'.
>
> Windows - closed standard - They apparently know what they are doing
> with their architecture. Applications can be written by other
> companies that don't have access to the source. Apps work within the
> accepted norms of the Windows standard. (Hey - I Didn't say they had
> 'high' standards...) ;-)
>
> Linux kernel - semi-open standard - The kernel is documented. The code
> is open and available to most* people that want to look at it. Changes
> are discussed in an open environment but final decisions are made by a
> select few.
>
> Java - semi open standard - Much like the Linux kernel many changes
> are discussed in the open, but final decisions are made by Sun. (Has
> this changed yet?)
>
> IEEE standards (1394, 802.11) - open standard - Discussed in open.
> Decisions made by vote of working group members through voting.
> Committee rules prohibit 'loading' by individual companies. (At the
> discretion of the committee chairman.) Working group participation
> open to pretty much anyone willing to attend the meetings.

	I'm definitely in favor of open standards.  I don't understand why you
think that the Linux kernel code is available only to *most* people.
Also, final decisions on the main branch of Linux are made by a select
few.  Anyone can change the code and use, run, distribute it.  It's
almost like it's completely open but not completely standard (unless you
stay with the main, blessed-by-Linus, branch).  Monta Vista (and Ingo
and others) are trying to sway that decision making process right now
but, if they don't, I'm sure they'll keep going.

Jan