[linux-audio-user] should esd be running?

Hi all,
    I've been playing the new game ut2004 on my Fedora ccrma box. This
game uses OpenAL for 3d sound which uses ALSA to route the audio through
my on-board Nforce2 sound module. It sounds very good, however sometimes
(not everytime) when I stop the game and check "ps aux" I notice esd is
running and I know it usually doesn't run so it must be starting for the
game. Should this be running at all since I'm using ALSA and OpenAL? If
not, should I just remove it? I'm not really clear about what function
esd actually serves.

                TIA
                   Rick B