Low-latency multi-receiver live-sync lossless audio streaming for local networks like Sonos, but open source

@hailey@xxxxxxxxx 🔗 https://hails.org/users/hailey/statuses/110919657595337270
-
Introducing Bark! Low-latency multi-receiver live-sync lossless audio streaming for local networks. It's like Sonos, but open source, so nobody can brick your devices remotely. It's also written in Rust :)

https://github.com/haileys/bark

It sends 48khz uncompressed float32 data over UDP multicast. It can achieve playback sync to within hundreds of microseconds in ideal conditions, and usually to within a millisecond.

I've been working on it in my spare time over the past week, and I'm pretty happy with how it's shaped up. I have three receivers setup and it works remarkably well at keeping everything in sync as I walk around my house. For now it only really works on Linux, and supports Pipewire (and Pulse in theory), but there's no huge impediment to making it truly cross-platform.

It also features a fancy live stats subcommand, which can used on any computer in the same multicast domain to watch the status of the stream cluster:

David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
exploring the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.