Pipewire (Jack) Frames / Buffer / sample rate and audio device selection, device and port names?

Hi list,

I have now installed Pipewiere following the Arch Linux wiki.

One thing I don't understand is how to set Frames / Buffer for a device and if / how names can be (permanently) changed.

I typically would have a bunch of Presets in QJackCtl and select those based on:

a) the soundcard
b) the use case (higher/lower latency mostly)

With Pipwiere while qjackctl still seems to for connections etc. it seems to 'ignore the preset settings.

My understanding is that with Pipewire (pipewire-jack?) installed it's as if jack were always running and when jack applications start they will be available via pipewire.

So the question is, is there equivalent (preferably GUI) functionality to:

a) select only one audio device to use with Jack (on my laptop I typically don't care to have the on-board audio card if I plug in a USB one) b) select a 'profile' with saved frame / buffer values (and possibly sample rate) for that device

Regarding a) I can actually switch off a card manually from the KDE audio settings (I'm using KDE). But it would be nice if for certain cases for example the on-board card were switched off when a USB one is plugged, and re-switched on when unplugged.

Also, it seems pipewire wants to use the full very long name of a device making it very non-ergonomic in any application where this is exposed is there a way to have shorter names (QJackCtl allows renaming, but that seems local to just itself). For example my UMC204HD is called "UMC204HD 192k Direct UMC204HD 192k" in some instances.

About names, pipewire seems to like names like capture_FL or aux0 instead of familiar system:playback_1 which some applications (e.g. like jack_capture) rel(ied) on.. Is there a way to change that? The name makes even less sense for an on-board card which has just a stereo-in and stereo-out.

Any hints or suggestions appreciated.

Lorenzo.