Re: Teaching tool to visualize waveforms?

On 18/02/2024 21:11, Kevin Zembower wrote:
Hello, all,

I'm talking an Introduction to Audio Processing course at our local
community college. In our third class, the instructor presented
visually waveforms, using Apple ProTools, and we listened as they
combined.

The examples showed equal frequency waves with a phase delay, showing
cancellation and amplification. We also listened to the beats of waves
at frequencies like 440 and 445 or 450Hz. Finally we listened to pure
sine wave, then the wave with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. harmonics.

However, we never saw a visual representation of the combined
waveforms. As a former teacher, I thought it would enhance the lessons
to also visualize the waveform.

[...]

Can anyone suggest a tool that would allow visualization of waveforms
based on combined sine waves? My ideal setup would allow sliders to
change the parameters, say, the phase delay, or frequency difference,
in real time, and continuously display the combined waveform.

Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated. Thanks for your advice.

I would really recommend (as Dennis already suggested) to use Pure Data (aka Pd) [1] in the teaching / learning pipeline. While it has a little learning curve - basic examples like this are quite easy to create and students could also install it and try out stuff and try 'hacking' the examples. There's tons of material online and the Pd examples themselves are a bit of a dsp tutorial via introducing Pd objects and concepts. there is also a very active and usually friendly community around Pd as well.

As a visualization tool while Pd does have ways to create scopes etc. this might require a bit of tinkering so a more out-of-the-box scope would be the x42-scope [2] which has 4 inputs and comes as a standalone JACK client.

This is really easy to do in Linux if you also have jack installed. Just connect output 1 of the [dac~] to input 1 of the scope and output 2 to the input 2.

Here is a (very) quick visual demo (no audio) of showing something similar to what you describe with Pd + x42-scope:

https://pasteboard.co/GRagpBrNSQbD.gif

Hope this helps.

Lorenzo

[1] https://puredata.info/