Re: Still rather confused about Pipewire an interesting midi twists

On 04/01/2024 21:46, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
Hi list and happy 2024!

I am running Manjaro (an Arch-based distro). It seems now I have a 'pipewire' package installed, but also pulseaudio. I don't think I have actively tried to install 'pipewire' but maybe it's a dependency for 'something'?

Anyways, my current audio set-up is still as it has been for quite a while on my laptop:

- pulseaudio for 'eveyday'

- jack for audio stuff and software (with a still working script I start only when needed to have a pulseaudio 'sink' - e.g. running jack and wanting to play audio or video from the browser)

All of this works as expected and I am still rather unaware of the pipewire intricacies and configurations.

One thing I have noticed is that now it seems that alsa midi ports are exposed as jack midi ports as well. Meaning... if I start some notoriously ALSA-MIDI-only applications such as Rosegarden, Pure Data or Qtractor their midi Outputs are shown in QJackCtl in the MIDI (i.e. JACK MIDI) section and are also visible in notoriously JACK-MIDI-only applications like Ardour or Carla, albeit without their port names (Carla puts everything in 'System' and calls the various ports 'midi_capture_1', 'midi_capture_2' etc. regardless of application, Ardour puts everything under 'system' and then does distinguish applications if set to 'show individual ports' but just lists # ports without their names, QJackCtl lists the applications and then for each lists ports as 'midi/playback1', 'midi/playback2' etc.)

The most interesting aspect is that besides the naming quirk these ports seem to work meaning that connecting rosegarden to, say, an Ardour MIDI track with a plugin will make noise. That is without going through a2jmidid. a2midid actually works pretty well so I'm not sure what the 'real' advantage would be, but it's still something interesting IMHO.

Lorenzo
You may actually be using pipewire, which has pulseaudio and jack interfaces.
I make a conscious decision to try it out, and apart from the odd initial hickup, it behave much the
same as previously, and even better, as my new (actually a refurbished Acer Aspire3) laptop had problems
getting the onboard audio to work. I ended up using a USB adapter for a while, but when I switched to pipewire
the onboard sound chips all showed up and seem to work fine.

I do have various bits of home-coded stuff that interface to jack, and they work with the pipewire/jack
without problems. QJackCtl comes up, but doesn't do anything. Qpwgraph shows the equivalent of qjackctl's
patchbay. It does show all the interfaces, including a lot that I'd prefer to leave out (HDMI mostly).

I suspect this is going to be the standard audio interface for Linux in future distros.

Bill