Re: Editing and reloading .sfz files

On Sep 29 2023, at 8:45 am, David Sumbler <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
       Package 'jack', required by 'virtual:world', not found

I certainly have the jack server running on my computer...

Complaints about packages while trying to build software typically indicate that a development package is missing, which would be the header files and anything else needed to build software.  Usually the development package will be the package name with -dev or -devel as a suffix, so you would need to install something like jackd2-dev (I think that would be the naming convention  in Ubuntu).
Different distributions have slightly different naming conventions.
Actually after a little searching I think the package you need may be named libjack-jackd2-dev, but I'm not running Ubuntu myself, so you will either need to experiment or find someone who builds on Ubuntu to verify the exact naming.

-- Chris Caudle

On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:53:47 +0200, Christopher Arndt wrote:
> Am 20.09.23 um 15:21 schrieb David Sumbler:
>> I might perhaps try installing the latest git version of sfizz.
>
> If you have all the dependencies installed, you should be able to
> compile & install the latest sfizz with:
>
> git clone --recursive "https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz-ui.git"
> cmake \
>      -B sfizz-build \
>      -S sfizz-ui \
>      -W no-dev \
>      -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
>      -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
>      -D CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=17
> cmake --build sfizz-build --verbose
> cmake --install sfizz-build
>
>> by alternating the 2 filenames I avoid the crashes.
>
> If you have both files in the same directory, the load next/previous SFZ
> buttons in the UI (to the right of the name of the currently loaded SFZ)
>   make that especially quick.

Regarding the last point: I find that using the right/left arrow buttons almost always causes sfizz to crash!  Previously I was usng the lv2 version of sfizz; I have now tried the vst3 version, but with similar results.

So I decided to try to install the latest git version of sfizz, using your very helpful step-by-step instructions.  Unfortunately the first cmake command produces this error:

       Package 'jack', required by 'virtual:world', not found

I certainly have the jack server running on my computer, and QjackCtl shows it to be working OK.  No package called simply 'jack' seems to exist in the regular Ubuntu Studio repositories, so I'm not sure what to do about it.  Any suggestions?

David