Re: Oops!

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 18:26:00 +0200
Francesco Ariis <fa-ml@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Il 06 settembre 2023 alle 18:10 Robin Gareus ha scritto:
>> For free/libre software, the source-code is already out there. Short of
>> making some political statement, moving the repository does not make a
>> difference. Since git is decentralized you can push to any number of
>> remotes. In fact anyone can mirror any existing public git-repo.
>
>Git is decentralised but GitHub is not, Open-source infrastructure
>is a definite plus not to suffer from lock-in (you don’t just have repos
>there, but collaboration tools, issue tracker, CI, etc.). Plus there are
>additional considerations to be had, e.g. GitHub partnering with OpenAI.
>
>There is an excellent thread on Lemmy about FOSS forges:
>    https://lemmy.ml/post/4291205

The real danger is indirect. I don't think anyone could effectively steal FOSS
code. It's collating this all the other info about someone.

There was a case in the UK a few years ago where a guy announced to his social
media friends he was taking a month's holiday abroad. While he was away someone
was able to glean enough information to completely impersonate him and sell his
house.

--
Will J Godfrey {apparently now an 'elderly'}
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/