Re: Oops!

SInce  few years I'm a huge fan (and supporter) of codeberg (https://codeberg.org/) a real free alternative for hosting git repositories.

Holger

"Chris Caudle" chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx – 5. September 2023 19:17

On Sep 5 2023, at 3:58 am, Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It seems those who switched from Github to Gitlab to escape from Microsoft
may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. I've just seen news
on The Register that Gitlab is extending their 'partnership' with Google - I
didn't even know there *was* a partnership.

After reading the link which Georg Krause provided this appears to just be a way for people using Google Cloud services to have easier integration between their code configuration on Gitlab and deploying onto their Google Cloud instances.

Does not look to be of any concern to me, but of course anyone who for whatever reason does not want to have any ties to any commercial organization is always free to run their own git server.

I used this git server software for a while, anyone interested in running your own server, or even supporting an independent git service rather than one of the big two might find something useful:
http://rocketgit.com/

-- Chris Caudle