Re: Jack setup

On Saturday, April 29, 2023 5:12:43 AM CDT Bill Purvis wrote:
> I'm struggling with my jack setup again. I am running Devuan Chimaera
> and the MB has a builtin sound chip (ALC887)
> which works using just ALSA. I had an Audigy sound card, and Jack worked
> OK with that. Longer term, I'll by using
> a UDAC8 USB sound module, but it's not here at present, and I expected
> to be able to simply switch the Jack output
> device from the Audigy to the ALC877. I can play a test file through
> ALSA (aplay test1.wav) which is OK, though
> a bit low volume, but when I reconfigure jack to use it, I don;t get any
> system output on QJackCtl, and jack-play
> gives no sound, not surprising if there's no port to connect to.

The jackd application prints quite a bit of information on startup.  If you do
not start jackd from the command line but use qjackCtl, you should be able to
get that same information from the Messages window (press the Messages button
and it will open a window with a Messages tab and a Status tab).

The interface name is often not very descriptive (when I started jackd just
now to check the messages it had "Acquired audio card Audio0") so the output
of aplay -l would also be helpful to cross-check that the acquired card is
what you actually expected.

--
Chris Caudle