Re: LV2 stand-alone host with ALSA midi?

Hi Harry

On 11/12/2022 14:52, Harry van Haaren wrote:

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 1:28 PM Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:lorenzofsutton@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi LAU,

Hi Lorenzo,

    Is there some stand-alone host (e.g. like jalv) which supports ALSA
    midi
    out of the box?

Any reason that using Jalv with "a2jmidid" (https://github.com/jackaudio/a2jmidid <https://github.com/jackaudio/a2jmidid>) isn't a good/working solution?
Sorry its not answering your direct question!

That's what I use in situations where only jack-midi is available. I guess the reason to prefer alsa-midi directly is for direct connection and not having to start a2jmidid, so not strictly a technical reason.

I was just wondering if anything which supported alsa-midi 'out of the box' existed given that there are a couple of major Linux sequencers as well as Pd that only support alsa-midi.

I guess adding ALSA Midi/Seq IO to Jalv wouldn't be huge work - but there'd need to be some technical reason
that using a2jmidid isn't a good solution..?

I imagined so and understand the overhead of supporting both, so your answer is appreciated :-)

I guess probably a solution to make the use of instrument LV2s a bit more straightforward would be to automate launching a2jmidid and then maybe some helper script for jalv together with lv2ls and lv2info (like a simple python/Tk something...)

Lorenzo