Re: Question about using old Yamaha expression pedal

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 09:33:11 +0200
Alexandre DENIS <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:06:59 -1000
>"David W. Jones" <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Will a Yamaha expression pedal work on a non-Yamaha MIDI keyboard? It
>> uses a stereo 1/4" plug.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>Hi,
>
>Some expression pedals are wired with the pot on TRS, some others use
>RTS (i.e. wiper of the pot either on tip or ring). To make things worse,
>some use a lienar pot, some others use a log pot.
>
>AFAIK Yamaha uses RTS wiring. On the other hand, most pedals use TRS.
>But in a lot of keyboards, the polarity is either tunable or
>auto-detected.
>
>The only advice is to test the pedal on the keyboard, or to check in
>its documentation.
>
>-a.

For this sort of thing, and testing leads, PSU polarity etc. a small cheap
meter is invaluable. Takes all the guesswork out of it - so you see what you
*actually* have, not what it says it has!

--
Will J Godfrey {apparently now an 'elderly'}
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/