Re: USB Compliant MIDI

Thanks for the links, Sam!

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 9:36 PM Sam Kuper <sampablokuper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 02:52:17PM -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> 3. Could I use a real MIDI cable from the computer and convert that to
> USB?

Yes.

It's unnecessary in your case, since you're connecting to a PC that
already has a USB port.

But if you really wanted to (for example, if instead of a PC, you needed
to connect your controller instead to a sound module or hardware
sequencer with 5-pin MIDI in and no USB A port;  or if you just really
like your PC's existing MIDI interface), then absolutely it is possible
to convert a controller's USB MIDI I/O to conventional 5-pin MIDI I/O.

There exist readymade converters for exactly this purpose:

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/usb-b-to-midi.29711/

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/usb-midi-hosts

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/kenton-midi-usb-host-mkii.html

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca