Re: USB Compliant MIDI

Hi Bob,
this is a general reply, but may be a good guidance.
Jun 15 2022, Bob van der Poel has written:

I'm looking at the Casio WK 6600 keyboard and see that the old fashioned
MIDI connectors are replaced with a USB - B connector. Can anyone answer:

1. These connections are okay to connect my linux desktop computer to the
keyboard using a standard USB A-B cable?
Yes, without having read the manual. Though these things are standardised.
2. How long can the MIDI cable be? I suppose if it's too short I could
always insert an extension cable?
With USB MIDI not sure, I have 2 and 3 metre USB cables and they work fine. DIN MIDI goes up to 10 or 15, so I _SUPPOSE_(!) that will work for USB MIDI as well. IIRC latency in that is basically a question of length and USB and classic MIDI are both based on conducting current, opposed to light, so the lengths should be in the same ball park. I may stand corrected.
3. Could I use a real MIDI cable from the computer and convert that to USB?
I have never seen that direction. A to MIDI DIN yes, but B to MIDI no. They may exist yet.

Sorry to be vague, but I'd rather be cautious. I know what it is to sepnd "a lot of money" and how sure you'd want to be.

Best wishes, HTH,

Jeanette

Thanks!

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx

 * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I love the things you say
And I love the love your touch conveys <3
(Britney Spears)