Analysis of monophonic audio signals on the commandline

Hey hey,
I am looking for tools to analyse bird song. I have many recordings, which can probably be cleaned up enough to have single calls as good as isolated. On the other hand there are quite a few sonograms of bird calls, used to identify species.

What I am looking for is a kind of mathematical analysis tool to get an idea of frequency and volume, perhaps with an estimate of curves. I suppose that requires statistical analysis. This is far from my forte, so I wouldn't know which keywords for the relevant math to enter and in which tool to look. Are there audio specific programs? Or is a math package like R, octave or maxima able to handle such data input and the task?

If you are not immediately aware of a relevant tool, but could supply me with a few keywords and considerations, that would already be quite helpful.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

 * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

There's a girl in the mirror