Re: Connect pipewire to running JACK server

On 28/01/2022 19:35, Paul Davis wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 11:12 AM Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The audio world seems to have given up on latencies with buffer
    sizes any
    lower than 256/2. Certainly, most recording can be done at even higher
    latencies with external monitoring but the use of softsynths or
    software
    effects that require low latency monitoring from the computer is
    difficult
    at best.

I can use my MOTU USB device at 64/2.

Interestingly I used to be able to get 64/2 with my USB audio devices (both a Scarlet 2i2 and a Behringer UMC202) on my previous laptop which was just a 'consumer' Acer I got in 2013, with a realtime kernel, CPU set to 'performance' mode and disabling WiFi. I was even able to do 128/2 with the internal sound-card.

On my current machine which is a Tuxedo laptop (obviously with more horse-power in terms of CPU and RAM), I cant seem to go below 128/2 whatever I do. CPU here is managed by proprietary software (well especially the fans, otherwise they are always on), which kinda sucks for this kind of machine.

It's really hard to understand if it's the hardware, the (new) kernels, some other software or OS thing or a mix of all those.

128 is still tolerable for recording and things like Jamulus (which of course introduces a bit more latency), but yes, for software effects and processing of live input 64 would be nicer.

In both cases there is one specific USB port which works best with audio interfaces.

I passed that Acer laptop to my son after upgrading the hard disk to SSD and adding some RAM and he is still happily using it (albeit the keyboard and other parts are quite a bit bashed by now and the battery is dead), so overall it was pretty good buy (8+ years for a laptop isn't bad).

What I really find frustrating is that the whole usb audio interface chain is near to impossible to 'debug' as there are so many factors and so many set-up specific variables.

What's also frustrating is that, intuitively, there should be the CPU, RAM, USB bandwidth to have pretty low latencies at least for a 2x2 simple set-up.

Lorenzo

    There is also the problem with usb devices that the latency changes
    every
    time the audio device is opened by software.

Apparently now fixed (or certainly much better) in recent kernels.

    The computer audio world lost when the audio device manufactures jumped
    from firewire to usb. Maybe (but don't hold your breath) something will
    change in the future. Or look for a PCIe based audio device like the
    audioscience cards.

thunderbird (aka "PCI.? bus on a cable") is presumably the right answer.

but that's just a reminder that the proximal issue here is "what connections does my laptop provide?"