Re: [music] Dancing with a ghost (3D disco)

On 1/23/22 05:45, Jeanette C. wrote:
Hey hey,
Jeanette C & Benjamin Michael like to present: Dancing with a ghost
https://youtu.be/15q_FetgmCo
Direct OGG version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4c50ui1kn65cvq/dancing_with_a_ghost.ogg

This is a 3D mix, so best listened to on headphones.

Composition: Jeanette C.
Lyrics and vocals: Benjamin Michael & Jeanette C.
3D mixing and production: Jeanette C.
Saxophones and video: Benjamin Michael (Images courtesey of pixbarbay)

The song was recorded in the usual way. Tracks were processed in Nama with my favourite LADSPA and LV2 plugins. Then every clean/source track and reverb/delay send was loaded into Csound to place it in a virtual 3D space, using HRTF (Head related transfer function) with a modelled room.

Unfortunately, the resultant mix is not as much 3D as I would have wanted to, but it was a great learning experience and Benjamin's spirited contributions breathed life and energy into the song. I ended up with more than 100 tracks having to go through Csound.

First lessons: don't start that big! Place groups of sounds in a few predetermined spots. Don't move too many sounds. Define a 3D sonic space before hand and work out the interaction between artificial reverb effects and the "natural" room reverb.

It was a hugely enjoyable project, challenges and all. Thanks to Benjamin for his invaluable collaboration!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Hey, Jeanette!

That's really nice.  Great instrument sounds. Your voice is nice in there, compliments Benjamin's nicely. And the 3D comes through. I wonder how it would sound in an ambisonic field?

Thanks for sharing!

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx