Re: Electiric wind instrument on linux

"M.R.P. zensky" <wintermute24x7@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello I have a Yamaha WX5 midi wind controller and a steinberg
> UR22C. Runnng Ubuntu Linux. It recognizes the steinberg but I am new
> to pro music and am wondering what is the simplest way to be able to
> hear the instrument. Someone hhtold me that I need to use virtual
> instruments for this instrument. Is it neccessary to install a daw in
> order to install the virtual instruments? Again I am new so anyone
> that can explain to me how to just
> Hear the instrument would be great.

You don't need a DAW, just a MIDI expander.  A typical MIDI expanding
service would be the package "timidity-daemon".

After installing that,

aconnect -l

should list both your Steinberg MIDI ports and the timidity-provided
ports.

aconnect x:y z:t

where x:y is the respective Steinberg MIDI port and z:t the respective
timidity port taken from aconnect -l, playing the wind controller into
the Steinberg should give you sound from your computer.

There will be fine points of configuration, probably in
/etc/timidity/timidity.cfg .  You might also install the fluidsynth
sound fonts and configure Timidity to use them.

--
David Kastrup