Re: Touchpad to MIDI

On 27/07/2021 09:33, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:03:33 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Will,

On 27/07/21 09:22, Will Godfrey wrote:
Does anyone know of software that can generate MIDI messages from a touchpad?
If, as I understand it, you mean a latptop touchpad (i.e. thing used
instead of a real mouse with your finger :-) ) Pure Data can definitely
do it in many different ways.

The Pd 'vanilla' way would probably be using a canvas object(s) and
tracking movement as you 'drag' them around.

There are a bunch of Pd externals (i.e. libraries not included in Pd you
need to compile and install separately), which can also do this in
various ways. [1]

Once you have the touchpad detection / setting setup Pd has a set of
inclued midi sending obejects which are really easy to use to send CC,
notes etc.

The idea would be to send CCs to a sequencer or soft synth, but being able to
send it to an external hardware device would also be very useful.
MIDI objects receive/send alsa-midi so you can route them to any
sequencer, synth or hardware device which can receive alsa-midi.

Hope this helps.

Lorenzo.

[0] https://puredata.info/
[1] There is also a Pd 'distribution' which comes packed with many many
externals out of the box, Purr Data: https://www.purrdata.net/

Thanks for all of this Lorenzo. I had been hoping for something lightweight,
however if I can find that round tuit I seem to have lost, this is certainly an
interesting (and potentially flexible) way of solving the problem.

Will.
Anyone with a bit of programming skill could knock together something that would send a CC event via the Jack interface - I've done stuff like this in the past.
You'd also need some familiarity with Xlib to get the keypad events.

Bill