Re: Hum pickup in DI boxes

On 08/06/2021 13:43, Rick Green wrote:
Headphone outputs are a strange beast.  Unbalanced, for sure (a single signal lead for each channel, with a common ground return), but much lower impedance than you would expect for an unbalanced line out.   I've struggled as well, trying to find a consistently reliable DI for this application.  There are several on the market which specifically address this issue. Search for 'laptop interface' or 'A/V adapter' to find some of the ones I've tried.   I've also resorted on occasion to abandoning the headphone jack altogether, and using an external USB soundcard/interface instead, which provides proper balanced outputs.

Rick Green
There are various groups who use the building, and bring their own laptop/mobile phone, so most of the interface devices are a non-starter. It has to be something working from a 3.5mm TRS plug (and as it's only a single channel to the mixer, it is effectively a 3.5mm TS plug!)

Bill