Re: Audio-Video desktop recording

There are only two video editors on Linux that I would recommend.

1. Blender.
Rock solid. Bespoke UI, but many good tutorials on YouTube. For instance, this playlist. I have edited dozens of videos with Blender.

2. Olive.
I haven't worked with it, but unfa uses it as his main editor. It seems to be a very promising project. According to unfa, it does crash from time to time, but not too much. Definitely, not on the OpenShot level. So, should be safe.

The rest I was never able to use. I hear relatively good things about KDEnlive, but it never worked for me. Openshot 2 I consider almost a literal open source scam ("award winning" software where I am yet to be able to even import a video without it either crashing or freezing, tested on 4 different laptops, across three versions of Ubuntu).

I am surprised to see several people mention Shotcut. Last time I tried it was either 2017 or 2018 - and it was unusable. After all, it is the UI over the same library that Openshot 1 used. But hey - maybe it improved.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 9:29 PM Mike Pullen <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 2:21 PM David Kastrup <dak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike Pullen <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I haven't seen Openshot come up in this convo as an alternative to Shotcut.

Have you worked with both?  I gave up on Openshot eventually (admittedly
after it messed up the transition to version 2 really badly quite a bit
of time ago) and switched to Shotcut.  Didn't look back.  I've been
through a number of video editing programs actually.

--
David Kastrup

Fair-- no, I haven't done a compare recently. Agreed, Openshot certainly did muff the v2 transition pretty bad, but in my experience they've come out of that pretty strong... It's good to have alternatives. : )

Mike