Re: Fwd: The audacity of Audacity: Telemetry / Google Analytics added

On 08/05/21 18:08, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 12:28:44 -0400
Kevin Cole <dc.loco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

'A massive middle finger': Open-source audio fans up in arms after
Audacity opts to add telemetry capture

Move comes days after firm acquired by Muse Group

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/07/audacity_telemetry/

The article notes that it's actually an "opt in" but cautions that
users might mistakenly do so.
Indeed. Not good news. It's been widely reported. I first saw this on 'The
Register'. People are just unhappy about the telemetry, but absolutely furious
about the two third parties involved. I've used Audacity for years for simple
top-and-tailing. I won't be doing so any more.

I do not expect Linux distributions to enable the telemetry.
And from what Audacity developers have said, there is a compile-time option for it which is disabled by default.

I have looked into their CI builds, seems just using regular Github actions.
So maintaining a fork for just build-time disabled telemetry should be quite okay.

It is very sad to see though, that is for sure.
One of the very first things they do to "modernize" the codebase is adding telemetry, hah, really fits the "modern" attitudes for sure...

PS: they already added google analytics and other stuff on top of musescore. I personally have little hopes of them backing down from this.