Re: online calls with decent auido for music lessons

On 3/15/21 11:37 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
Hi LAU,

As we're entering a 'tighter' lock-down in my area this week I will need to attend online music lessons (bass). The suggested tool is zoom with 'original sound' option selected, but it seems this is not available on Linux (nor in a web (chrome?) client) [1].

In the past setting the 'noise reduction' (or maybe it's echo cancellation) to low seemed to work OK, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any work-arounds.

Or any other platform (Discord seems to use Opus which sounds promising).

Any suggestion welcome.

Lorenzo.

Hi Lorenzo,

FWIW, I've been teaching online since last March, using Skype on Ubuntu 18.04. It has not been a flawless experience, due less to any particular shortcomings with Skype and more to do with inevitable circumstances beyond my control. The audio on my end varies from student to student - each has a unique hardware condition - but I use a decent USB microphone to ensure the audio quality coming from the studio.

The variables can be intensely frustrating. I teach a student living two hundred miles away who typically gets a better connection than another student only two miles from my home. I'm glad for the precautions, but I'm looking forward to teaching mostly in the studio again.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips