Re: [JACK] Can tempo be synced between hosts?

Hi Francesco,

On 20/02/2021 12:08, Francesco Napoleoni wrote:
[...]

However I cannot find a way to transmit tempo changes from master machine to
slaves.

I’ll try to explain myself better: the “master machine” is a PC with a
soundcard, running JACK on a Linux Fedora OS, and is connected with the
“slaves” with a gigabit ethernet link. The “slaves” are currently two, but I
would like to expand this to a wider configuration, maybe with devices such as
Raspberry sharing the load of multiple synths, effects and so on.

The problem is that I can see the start/stop of the Jack transport synced
between the hosts, but not the tempo. This limits the use of applications
which do make use of tempo changes on slave hosts, forcing me to copy the
tempo map to them and run it in a DAW. As a side effect I can see the BBT
drifting between hosts (apparently its value is computed using the local tempo
mark).

Is there a way to solve this problem? Or am I missing something?

How about 'good old' midi (clock)? [1]

I imagine something like qmidinet [2] would be able to transmit that. Or you could us Pure Data (aka Pd) which also has TCP send and receive objects ([netsend] and [netreceive]). With Pure data you might need to do a bit of math to calculate the tempo, but it's quite straightforward (I did a Pd patch which used MIDI clock to send tempo to Yoshimi recently, quite unrelated to your use case but could be useful for the midi clock part [4]).

I honestly never tried midi clock like that with physical machines, but I did use Pd in the past with TCP within the same intranet and it worked quite well, YMMV.

Lorenzo.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_beat_clock
[2] https://qmidinet.sourceforge.io/
[3] https://puredata.info/