Re: Firewire latency

I'm running a Focusrite Saffire Pro10 into a Thinkpad T520 quadcore, the same set is available in my homestudio a second time for redundance. The Saffire, a 8-mic-channel device, is fully supported by FFADO, I can handle hardware-monitoring completely via FFADO-mixer - try to buy a actual offered device with similar capabilities AND full Linux-support - your effort will fail, it's a shame...

I'm using FFADO and Jack, I don't need very low latencies because all monitoring will be managed by the Focusrite device, so I usually use something around 512/3. Very lower settings are possible, also 64/3 is possible, but I don't need it. Sometimes I'm getting xruns also with higher settings because of the internet connection.
When switching off internet completely it's ok.
Up to now I even didn't know of any alternative to FFADO.

I'm upset by the develoment of laptops having no more fw anymore, no pc-card, no DC/DVD... connectivity is drastically reduced and I do not want to buy such a castrated machine. If my Thinkpads would die, I would buy the same used machines again on ebay, the quality and standing is excellent and there is still a sufficient offer to find on second-hand-market.
best
-s