Re: Firewire latency

On 1/14/21 6:20 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
Playing around with an Audiofire 12 and I have just found an interesting limitation in latency settings. I can easily set my system up to use the audiofire to use either the alsa drivers or the ffado drivers and have tried both. I found an interesting result:

using the alsa driver my minimum latency when using JACK is 256/2. If I try 128/3 (or 128/2) JACK locks up and needs kill -9 to get rid of.

Using the FFADO drivers I have been running JACK at 32/2 for over an hour with only 1 xrun for the whole time.

So my question for anyone else who has or is using a firewire device is: Do you also have a similar experience? And which distro?

I am mainly asking for documentation reasons for Studio-controls

Sorry, can't answer any of those questions... but how are you connecting your Audiofire? I have one here sitting unused because the one laptop that had a Firewire connection died a decade ago. I have a desktop system available, so a PCIe-Firewire card would be an option, or my Dell laptop with USB-C.

Ideas?

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx