[linux-audio-user] Wavetable cards

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 16:46 -0500, John Check wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 01:34 pm, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 13:13 -0500, John Check wrote:
> > > Does anybody know of a supported soundcard with a wavetable that's
> > > both currently available and not emu10k1/audigy chipset?
> >
> > What is your objection to the emu10k1?  This is the best supported
> > wavetable card.  I hope it's not that stupid entry in the linux audio
> > FAQ.
> >

> Not sure to which entry you are referring, but it's really a logistical
> problem. I just dropped $30 (on sale!) for a SBLive! to drop in a box I use
> for a synth module. That's ridiculous for an obsolete card. I know what I
> paid like 4 years ago for the same thing.

Well, I think the SBLive will not get much cheaper than that because for
what it does it works very well.  Think of it as a piece of audio gear
instead of a piece of computer hardware.  Is a 5 year old effects pedsl
"obsolete"?  Hell no -  chances are it's better made than a brand new
one.

The same goes for sound cards.  The trend is toward cheaper soundcards
that move more of the traditional hardware functionality (mixing etc) to
software.

Lee