Re: RIP the inventor of ambient music

I don't know... chant musics are frequently intended to bring on a trance in the listener. Chants are used in the ritualistic events that underpin certain cultures, traditions, religions, etc.

I've been brought to places while in a deep focus (aided by chant musics) that parallel experiences I've had on psychoactive drugs.

In that sense, Eno's description is sort of perfect to me. Gregorian chant was used to induce religious focus, so the music itself does sort of fall out of primary consideration when "used" correctly.