Re: Sysex with Jack MIDI

from the jack(1)d man page:

      -M, --midi-bufsize [ event-count ]
              Specify the size of the buffer used for MIDI ports. Units are "MIDI events per process() cycle", where an event occupies up to 4 bytes (as most common MIDI events do). The default buffer size is 2048 bytes, which is
              about 500 MIDI events.  Typical values for event-count will range from 10 to about 1000. Be aware that using very high values along with a large number of ports may  cause JACK to fail to start because of the amount
              of memory that would be required.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 10:57 AM Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> I made some tests and it seems that there is indeed a limit of 112 bytes
> for outgoing sysex data.

I knew there was a limit but had never run into it. I realize that the
longest sysex I had used were ~20 bytes (mackie control with LCD info sent
channel at a time)

The one question I do have is the buffer size (128/2 ?) and if you tested
at more than one buffer size. I would expect that the two would be tied
together. I also remember reading that there had been code developed for
jack (I do not remember if it was jack 1 or 2 specific) to allow long,
non-realtime sysex to be used. However, I do not remember if it was ever
included or how it was accessed.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net