Re: XanMod kernel

On 6/6/20 9:47 AM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
Hello Roger,

On 06/06/2020 13:59, Roger wrote:
It is configured with CONFIG_HZ=250 and I'm wondering would it be worth
recompiling it with CONFIG_HZ=1000 as recommended several times in the
wiki article?

I don't think that's really necessary anymore as almost everything in
Linux audio land that needs a high resolution timer uses the snd-hrtimer
kernel module these days which doesn't rely on this kernel setting.
Correct me if I'm wrong though, timers have always been a blind spot in
my understanding of how the kernel works with regard to real-time audio.

Best,

Jeremy

Hi all.

My understanding is that ALSA placed a hard-coded limit on the
 snd-hrtimer of around 1024Hz a couple of years ago.

The snd-hrtimer used to be able to be set very high frequencies
 until one day it wouldn't. I contacted ALSA and they told me
 about this new hard-coded limit.

This sent me scrambling to re-order the midi timer preference
 in MusE because it seems the RTC timer is now the only timer
 that can give you anything above 1024Hz.

Have I got this correct?

Tim.