Default (audio) devices in Plasma (KDE)

Hi list,

since Kubuntu 20.04 there are big stars next to the volume controls for each audio device labelled "Default Device". First I thought that's cool, now I can set the default device and it stays that device. However, the system decides that if the user plugs in an USB soundcard the newly detected soundcard will be the new soundcard. :( In my case if I plug in a zoom H2_n recorder the desktop audio will be switched from the Jack Sink to the teeny speaker which is in that recorder. Not what is desirable.
Is there a solution to this?

https://imgur.com/LAzX8rg