Re: Getting Rhythmbox to Appear in qjackctl

Len Ovens wrote on 5/20/20 3:13 PM:
On Wed, 20 May 2020, Samir Parikh wrote:

How do I get Rhythmbox (GNOME application similar to iTunes) to appear in qjackctl?

Rythumbox must have the ability to open as a jack client built in. Therefore, the place to check would be in the setting/preferences/options/whatever dialog and see if it is possible to set audio out to jack

- installed qjackctl and its dependencies on Ubuntu 16.04

16.04 is kinda old, the version of jack in ubuntu20.04 has had some important bug fixes.

- installed pulseaudio-module-jack

This package comes with three modules:
  - module-jackdbus-detect
  - module-jack-source
  - module-jack-sink

Thanks for the note. I wanted to give a quick update on my situation. I'm not familiar enough with JACK yet to determine whether or not your advice still applies. If is still does, I'm not sure I follow everything so may have some follow up questions.

Again, I'm trying to combine the music playing from Rhythmbox with my voice from the microphone and send that out to a meeting service like Jitsi (or Zoom).

With Rhythmbox running and playing music, I open up qjackctl and the "Connections" window looks like this:
https://imgur.com/x6cDx8d

In PulseAudio Volume Control, the "Playback" tab looks like:
https://imgur.com/gYK2agU

The "Output Devices" tab looks like:
https://imgur.com/FP3vUnN

The "Input Devices" tab looks like (2 screenshots):
https://imgur.com/0TyBgKi
https://imgur.com/AB9wf5u

With this setup AND with JACK running, I can hear the music through my speakers! (Minor victory, but I'll take it!)

There are in ubuntu 16.04, both jackmixer and idjc which will both be able to act as a mixer with this setup allowing setting each level separately and offer more control. neither one of these applications are available in ubuntu 20.04 due to libs they rely on being deprecated. I am hopeful they will be re-added in the future (but am not holding my breath). zita-mu1 may also work for you as a mixer. A plugin wrapper like Carla could be used to provide level and eq control as well (or jack client versions of plugins for that matter)
 I just need help on:

How to I combine my voice from the microphone and then have that serve as the "input" to Jitsi or Zoom.

Is that where these mixers come in or can I do through directly through qjackctl and PusleAudio Volume Control?

Samir