Re: How to combine microphone audio and music from application to pipe to video conference

Hi, Samir!

On 5/15/20 5:40 PM, Samir Parikh wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to combine the audio from my microphone (either built in
microphone from my laptop or bluetooth headset) with music playing
from Rhythmbox Music Player running on Ubuntu 16.04 and pipe that as
the audio input to video conference services such as Jitsi.

My experience with Jitsi is that its audio input is limited to two sources: Whatever microphone you have connected to your computer, and your chosen YouTube URL (if you use Jitsi's option to stream a YouTube URL). It lets you stream a YouTube URL, but that seems to take over the Jitsi screen. I think at that point maybe you could talk in your microphone and have it audible over the YouTube stream... but I don't know, I haven't tried it.

I tried to find a way to stream just audio from my music library here (mplayer playing through JACK) but couldn't find a way to get Jitsi to take JACK as an input. The only options I saw were hardware ones.

I don't use Pulseaudio, maybe it could be set up to get around Jitsi's idea of "hardware"?

I don't know much about Linux audio internals and wasn't sure how to
do this.  Can I do this completely via the operating system using
Pulse Audio?  Do I need to do something with Jack?  Or do I need
specialized software such as OBS, Ardour or Reaper?

Any help or suggestions on pointing me in the right direction or how
to get started would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping that I can do
this completely through software without external hardware such as a
mixer or something.

Maybe play your music to a channel connected to an external mixer, connect your regular microphone to a different channel on the mixer, then connect that output to a microphone in on your compute?

I don't know, just guessing. Hope it helps!

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx