Re: How to prevent applications from changing my mic level?

On 06/05/2020 17:15, Len Ovens wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2020, S. wrote:

So you seem to be suggesting that Pulse is directly responsible for
manipulating the levels? I assumed that it was Chromium and its spinoffs
(Chrome and Electron apps), using an AGC function specifically as part of
the WebRTC protocol:

Pulse poses as an alsa device to the application so that more than one application can use the same device at the same time. So chrome controls it's device which is pulse and pulse satisfies the request with either direct device manipulation or digital if direct is not possible (or if there is more than one application using that device).

Thanks for confirming this option, I had found a similar suggestion here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/689209/how-to-disable-microphone-volume-auto-adjustment-in-cisco-webex/761103#761103 That looks like the solution I was hoping for of making it not possible for
processes to mess with the mic gain. But unfortunately the profiles are
under /usr/share/ , so the tweaks will be reverted every time Pulse is
updated... :-(

As with all things Linux these days, configuration can be done in more than one place. While I am sure that an added profile file with a unique name would not interfere with upgrades even in /usr/share, quite probably the default profile could be overridden in /etc/pulse/*/ and failing that, there is always ~/.local/share/ to play with. Really, it is all about seaking documentation and examples to work from. If you only have one user on the system, copying the file from:
/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf
to:
~/.local/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf
and editing it there may be just as effective.

As before, I have not personally tried this as jack already fixes it for me.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

    pacmd set-default-sink jack_out

which does the trick, assuming you have the pulseaudio-jack module loaded.
Having got there, adding the command to the end of /etc/pulseaudio/default.pa should make it set that whenever it starts up. I've yet to try that as I don't
reboot more often than necessary.

Bill