Re:  Re: Physical distance performance with Linux?

Well, actually using the same ISP in the same city does not make a difference. My mate and me have both Unitymedia/Vodafone cable network access. We had the same RTT as with the other one at another ISP with ADSL.

It is worthwile noting that we are limited by the speed of light. If you do a signal propagation calculation just for fun, you will notice the boundaries of our reality. ;-)
For cologne <-> frankfurt it is little less then 2ms. frankfurt <-> nyc 60ms already. Not accounting for routing devices etc...
I read a paper a while ago which stated that most delay occurs in the access network, the last mile, due to shared media and signal multiplexing.

Best,
Ck
Am 05.05.20, 21:03 schrieb Chris Caudle <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Tue, May 5, 2020 1:07 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> The one thing I remember about soundjack from the presentation at
> tonmeistertage years ago was that inter-continental latencies are MUCH
> worse than in-country, often to the point of not being very usable. This
> isn't due to soundjack but the nature of routing across sub-ocean links
> etc. Just something to be aware of if you're trying to connect and work
> with people a *long* way away.

That should also apply in general to the number of routing devices the
link has to traverse, and general distance. So same city would be better,
same ISP in the same city wold probably be better still. Best would be
same building connecting through a single building Ethernet switch.

I watched that Doobie Brothers performance originally mentioned, and I
don't think that was live. That is one possibility if you don't mind,
have one person start a session then pass it around, everyone adds their
part. Not as enjoyable as performing together with other people, but
probably results in a better quality performance overall.

--
Chris Caudle