Re: Input to aplay to make a file instead?

John,

On 18/04/2020 10:50, John Murphy wrote:
I use a program which plays regions of various .wav files. Its
output pipes into aplay like: '| aplay -f FLOAT_LE -c 2 -r 48000'

To where can I pipe its output, instead, to make a new .wav file,
or make a compressed file? Preferably faster than the region(s)
take to play.

Or, if not, make aplay write to a file instead of playing?

You can pipe into lame or oggenc as a possibility and yes, they have to create a header. You have to advice them to get raw data and give
the header information using the flags.
man lame and man oggenc are your friends.

Gerhard