Re: notes regarding a new installation

On 2/17/20 7:21 AM, mickski 56 wrote:
Two days configuring this machine. Why I still don't usually
recommend Linux to normal users.

Best regards,

dp

I wouldn't bet on everyone and their grannies getting a windows install
right in any amount of time either.

In my experience:

1. Ordinary users don't install Windows, either. It came on their computer.

2. Ordinary users don't have pro-level audio requirements. They want to Skype and play YouTube videos. They use their computer's built-in sound capabilities, such as laptop speakers or headphone jack.

3. If they're also casual gamers, maybe they feed their sound output to external speakers. If they're more serious gamers, they have that plus a headset.

My mother, a great-grandmother, skipped step 1 and bought an all-in-one iMac.

My sister, the grandmother, has two degrees in computer science and is a programmer and patent holder in the communications equipment field. (If you made a phone call today, it probably went through something she holds a patent on.) I don't believe she has ever installed Windows, either. Last time we visited her, she didn't even have a computer in the house. (Or an Internet connection.)

Her son has a five-year degree in engineering technology. He has probably installed Windows from scratch at work and helped create custom install images. At home? Probably just uses whatever Windows was installed on their computers when they bought them. He's in the generation that probably does 99% of its personal computing on smartphone or tablet.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx