Re: Streaming low-latency bi-directional audio between Android 4.x and a Linux desktop

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019, Stuart Longland wrote:

I was wondering if someone knew of a tool that would enable me to
connect my phone (running Android 4.1, I know this is old but it's what
I have) over WiFi to my desktop (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) or my laptop (Gentoo).

Mummble? There are more than one mummble clients avaiable for android and of course linux as well. I think mummble uses opus by default which is 5ms (or can be) and at least between desktops seems very instantaious. The android audio stack tends to be laggy, I think there is an alsa in there somewhere but the application only sees it through a higher level API which on most smart (cough) phones/tablets seems to introduce too much delay. Playing drums on the screen for example is too latent to be able to play with myself even. Hopefully your device is better.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net