Re: Record / playback MIDI through MIDI <--> USB cable?

On 21/08/2019 13:00, Kevin Cole wrote:
Well, as I mentioned in the first message, that's "working" -- sort
of: I've already established that it sees the keyboard, and that I can
send and receive. It's just that I was trying to do it with the raw
/dev/ and assuming that the format of .mid files that I've downloaded
and played on the computer was a pure MIDI stream, and that just using
"cat" would send it to the synthesizer and play it back. Instead, it
played a lot of random noise on the synthesizer, rather than the
actual tunes I would hear with timidity. So, that means either (a) the
.mid files aren't raw MIDI, or (b) there's some other magic in the
communication protocol, e.g. baud, parity, headers, etc.  Or that was
my thinking.  And, when I tried the reverse, using "cat" to redirect
the output of the raw /dev/ to a file named play-me.mid, timidity
didn't play back what I did on the Yamaha.
Hi Kevin,

MIDI events just state the type,pitch,velocity(volume). The timing of events
has to be figured out by whatever is recording it. Just copying the events into a file, then feeding that back means the timing is compressed into a very short
time, probably a small fraction of a second, hence the noise.

What is needed is a program that will record the events taking note of the
time between each one, then to play them back with pauses to replicate the
timing.

A .mid file contains both the events and the timing information, hence it can
play the events at the desired times.

Bill