Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

Len said:

"It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen. Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.

So, I admit to some confusion...

It is for sure.

Until yesterday (when I added the back port) after boot the sound system would sh
ow a 12 channel device.
At that point I would start Qjack. It's configuration is set to start ffado with 12 channels.

I don't know. I don't have a FW device to play with. However, I have been told that in order to use the ffado modules, the alsa fw modules have to be unloaded. Rui could answer thaty better than I can for qjackctl it may be that he checks to see if the ffado devices are available and if not assumes you mean alsa... or something else.

If I understand your comment, this would be running the alsa stack AND the ffado stack against the firewire device? (In this case an AF12.)

In my understanding that should not be possible. This is one of those cases where I wish I had one to play with...

So, now if I start JACK from the UBS Controls, it is using only the ALSA stack?

Yes, it uses -d alsa (actually ds alsa) So it sees your device as an alsa device.

And the ports that show up in, say Patchage, are ALSA ports?

No they are jack ports.

So, when I'm doing "pro" audio with UBS I don't need ffado now?

That is the idea of having alsa drivers.

And, if so, how does one, for instance, send firmware updates to a fw device?
(not that I expect to do that with an AF12...they stopped making it. :(   )

Does anyone still provide updates, new devices, support for firewire devices?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net