Re: Firewire modules

On March 31, 2019 2:40:19 PM PDT, Len Ovens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?

If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?

My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover most
of the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo
the way to go?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net

I'm using a RME Fireface 800, which works very reliable with libffado and JACK (e.g. down to 64 samples @48kHz).
I only replaced (nearly all) capacitors quite recently (some on the outputs were fried due to connection to phantom powered ins I assume). In combination with an Expresscard for Firewire800, it's very useful as a mobile setup, too.
I haven't tried, if there's ALSA support for that device (I doubt it). The hardware mixer and settings integration is quite good using ffado, but sadly there's no MIDI :-/

I guess upstream has some documentation on what's currently available in ALSA, but probably the most recent info can be retrieved from the (high traffic) alsa-devel mailing list.

Best,
David
--
https://sleepmap.de