Re: Command-line render a MIDI file with a VST instrument?

On 14/03/19 16:38, Mark Raynsford wrote:
Hello!

I'm attempting to produce a set of sound files that will be loaded into
a sampler. Given a MIDI file that contains a single channel containing
eight one-second notes, I'd like to be able to instantiate a VST plugin,
load a preset into it, pass the MIDI file through it, and record the
output to an audio file without any leading or trailing silence. I'd
like to be able to do that entirely from the command line without any
interactivity. I have a couple of hundred repetitions of this that I'd
want to perform, so as you can imagine I don't want to waste any time
on manual input.

Is there anything open-source out there that allows for this kind of
headless, command-line rendering?

Is the VST plugin and preset the same for all MIDI files? in that case you could load the plugin and preset in e.g. Ardour as Jeanette suggested. Then a scripted combination of commandline tools Jack-smf-utils [1], jack_capture [2], jack_freewheel [3] might work.

In theory this would be doable also in Pd (again with some minor scripting glue and running it 'headless'). Problem is, I don't think there's any external to load vst plugins in linux...

Lorenzo.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/jack-smf-utils/
[2] https://github.com/kmatheussen/jack_capture
[3] Included with JACK (I think)