Re: New 'acoustic metamaterial' cancels sound

Dear Jörn,

Am 08.03.19 um 20:55 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:
Let's assume that percentage refers to sound pressure level, not spectral width. Is it reasonable to expect something like 24dB damping in a narrow band? That would be really nice, but not amazing.

Actually, in the figure of the corresponding publication the have a peak damping of ~13dB.
The frequency range with a damping >10db appears to be of the order of 1Hz.

For me, the only interesting aspect of the device is, that it is pretty open.

Yet, if it's a high pitched noise they're battling, that probably translates to "still very annoying".

Provided you  are annoyed by a fair-play noise which doesn't change its tune.

Those evil log scales, here's why the press likes percentages better. Unfortunately, our senses don't care.

I can only agree. I'm saying for years that Logs are all evil, especially those with complex arguments.

Best regards,
Peter