Re: 1625 [music]

Enjoyable work.

I am also one of those people who wonders how you managed to make VCV Rack work. On my machine all it does is generate XRUNs.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 12:36 PM Dave Phillips <dlphillips@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Paul,

re: 1625 :

if you could:

   (a) do the hour long version
   (b) come over and run my VCV Rack install for me

that would just fine. Lovely work, as usual! Such nice tone taste.

Thank you ! I'd be happy to do both, but alas, my time is limited, we're moving into new digs this week. Sorry about that. :)

I had you and Will Godfrey in mind after working on this one, I hoped you'd enjoy it. I do have a second section prepared - it adds about another four minutes to the piece - I just have to figure a way to merge the essential aspects of the continuation into the original patch. Rack is not yet optimized nor does it support multicores so I have to be careful about patch size, there's a tipping point that sends its performance into xrun hell.

Regarding the sounds: I use fairly simple modules for sound creation in Rack, doing so makes me think about ways to subvert their simplicity. I also use only a few straightforward effects (reverb, chorus, tremolo), I find it helps to keep the textures clear.

I had hoped to present a "composing with VCV Rack" paper at LAC 2019 but our move puts that notion to rest. Dang.

Best always,

dp