Re: Default Jack metering (XFCE QJackCTL)

On 10/03/2018 04:00 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Tim <termtech@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:termtech@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    That is why port aliases are SO VERY important and should
       never be removed from Jack.

port aliases are an ad-hoc hack.

the correct solution was added to jack1, but never (AFAIK) to jack2, and that's metadata, along with well-known metadata keys such as "pretty-name".

port aliases should go away, and be replaced by metadata.

But when you and I last spoke of this, I was disappointed to learn
 that there were no plans to put default information in that meta-data,
 like the information that is provided in those alias names.
So as I understood, the meta-data would be blank by default.
You demonstrated that meta-data does work - but you had to provide
 that information from your own list.

Am I mistaken? Would such information be available by default?

Thanks.
Tim.