Re: performance problems after kernel/microcode update ?

On 09/13/2018 08:05 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 15:48:11 -1000
"David W. Jones" <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On September 13, 2018 1:13:12 PM HST, Tim <termtech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/13/2018 05:26 PM, Niklas Reppel wrote:
Hi,

i recently updated my Arch linux system, to to the following
version:

Linux 4.18.6-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT

Afterwards, i noticed that something has changed regarding the
realtime
permissions
and that i had to install a new package called
'realtime-priviliges',
which i never needed before,
and subsequently add my main user to the 'realtime' group.

In that wake, i updated the processor microcode, which i didn't use
at
all before (there always was some
error message during bootup, but nothing else).

After being able to start JACK in realtime again, i felt that there
was
a significant loss of performance.
Things that didn't cause any dropouts before now start to crackle
and
gristle (as a sidenote, i mostly
use SuperCollider to make sound).

Also, and this puzzled me especially, there were dropouts, but no
XRuns
... normally, when i push the
system to the limits, i get XRuns, that'd be expected. But now, it's
dropouts without, and they start way
earlier.

My machine has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz Processor
if
that info is of user for anyone ...

Anybody else noticed something like that recently ?

Best,
nik

Hello, I always reply when I hear of crackles, pops, and dropouts
  because it took me several months to figure out my problem with that.
Maybe it will help.

Here is the latest time I replied, a month ago, please scroll down:

http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/M-Audio-Fast-Track-Pro-unreliable-distorted-recording-td89125i20.html#a106829

Long story short: Try running with only one processor core active.

It completely cured my problem, and another user's as well.
In my case the device is a PCI M-Audio delta1010, and in the
   other user's case it was a similar ice1712-based card.
However in the above Fast-Track-Pro case, that's USB and we
   don't yet know if the trick solved that user's problem...

Be patient: If the number of CPU cores is the cause it may take
   several minutes for the crackling to appear since I believe what
   happens is that some low-level 'counters/pointers' which should
   always be in sync slowly approach and 'pass' each other, and that's
   when the noise occurs.

In my case the very same symptom occurred in Windows.
That proved beyond doubt that it was a hardware issue.

Hope that helps.
Tim.

While I, on the other hand, use all cores (real and hyperthread) on my i7 with no crackles or distorted recordings and such at all. Same for the 4 real cores on my AMD desktop system.

In my opinion, most PC motherboards weren't designed with any audio thought beyond including an on-board audio chip.

Is this only Intel processors that are doing this? I've been running an AMD
Ryzen since March and had no problems at all.

You mean for the original poster, or me? I have no such problems on either of my systems. But my AMD isn't a Ryzen, it's a Phenom II.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx