Live performance gear ideas?

Hi folks,
I almost put Linux in the subject line, holding off because there may be non-computer suggestions as well.
When I do a gig I much prefer live musicians.
However, once in a while I am in a setting where backing tracks prove most productive. What i find recently though is that trusting the playback abilities of a location may be unwise indeed.
So...the question.
Ideas on simple as in compact tools, stand alone units, computerized or not, that give me the means of performance playback. Include ideas for amplification so sound carries too. Using a built in laptop speaker does not cut it if that makes sense smiles.
I am in Canada with u. s. access.
Thanks,
Kare