Re: vlc: A short audio glitch at the beginning, every time

On 08/01/2018 07:57 PM, hollundertee@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:39:16 -0400
jonetsu <jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

Everytime I start vlc to play an audio file there's a short glitch
over perhaps 500ms then afterwards everything's fine.  This happens
every single time vlc is launched to play an audio file.

Technically speaking, what would be the reason for such a recurrent
glitch ?

Cheers.

I think I hear that kind of glitch too. I haven't tried with VLC
specifically, but I noticed it with other programs (e.g. OBS when I
switch to a scene that plays music, some other programs). At first I
suspected a broken file but I'm pretty sure that's not it. I guess
in my case it's either an issue with OBS, the decoder or PA.

I do get a pop before and after playing a file using mpv or vlc, which
may be some PA connect/disconnect thing. I'd expect that to be entirely
avoidable, but oh well...

The skip a second or further in is weirder, I haven't noticed it in
vlc. Can you give more detail, the song/format used, vlc version,
Linux version? Maybe someone can reproduce.

Hmm, I've never heard such a glitch or skip, regardless of media format. But I don't have PA on my system.

I have separate issues with VLC: its window likes to hang when playing a playlist on my system, and it also likes to hang and become unresponsive when scanning my media collection.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx